Wednesday, March 13, 2013

M3 blog

Chapter Six talks about hypermedia applications in the classroom. After reading about all of the different types of commercial hypermedia products, I decided to write about the collections of developmental resources. These are found on page 175 of our text. I looked at a specific website thst the text listed under graphics for teachers. The website is teachingheart.net and seems like an excellent resource for educational graphics for teachers, especially those teaching pre-K through fourth grade. After rerviewing all of the types of hypermedia authoring software, I decided to write about hypermedia production software. The particular software that I researched was adobe's creative suite. Their website is     adobe.com/products/creativesuite/web.html This could be used to help upperclass art students to make virtual portfolios to document and share their art with the community, jobs, galleries, and college recruiters. The text states that "multimedia and hypermedia authoring tools can help students generate new and different perspectives on organizing and presenting information" on page 174. Another reason to swithch to a digital option for portfolio creation is stated by Roblyer and Doering on page 178 of our text. They say, "in today's digital world, powerful personal computers and ubiquitous electronic networking allow people to incorporate a variety of media into their communications. Indeed, hypermedia publishing may eventually supercede paper publishing in importance and impact; moreover, the students in today's classroom will be on the forefront of this succession, both in use and development." students that are aware of their own capabilities thanks to the help of technology can feel confident and knowlegeable in the classroom. On page 193, the text states that "as with other types of hypermedia, student-created products are among the most powerful and constructivist strategies." Page 185 of the text mentions that while hypermedia production software can create confident students that are excited about getting to work on hypermedia, teachers should structure the students' ability to use authoring software to make sure that they student does not "overshaddow" the information that they are preseting with bells and whistles available to them via hypermedia.

3 comments:

  1. Becca, Thanks for the resources. I always like to see other people's ideas of good resources for the classroom. I will check out these you have mentioned. Teachingheart.net has some great teachers quotes that can be used in the classroom. Thank you and have a great spring break!!!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, though I teach high school, I did enjoy viewing the teachingheart.net site. However, I do completely agree with the authors and your last sentence about "overshadowing" the content. Too often students are more focused on the "bells and whistles" than the content when using hypermedia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great resources, Becca! I remember having so much trouble back in high school taking slide photos for my AP art portfolio. It's so great that now students (and artists) can create and share their portfolios digitally. They look better and are way cheaper and easier! Finally, a very useful technology application!

    ReplyDelete