Wednesday, April 17, 2013

M5 Blog Post

Lately, I have been working on my wiki and it has been difficult. I found that in order to make a good wiki page you also have to have accounts to all of the other plethora of social networking type sites. I have been getting bogged down trying to get through all of the set up required to use these preliminary sites that my initial gusto for creating a wiki has lessened. Regardless of this, I am still working hard on getting the wiki ready for presenting to the class. From reading the text and searching the web I was able to find these helpful items that make wiki work a little easier. :) The first item that I searched for was another wiki that would be similar to mine. The wiki that I located can be found at https://mbhskesslerart.pbworks.com/w/page/17936774/Class%20Information. The wiki has places for lesson and slideshow type information and places to showcase student work. I think that those two capabilities are the most useful in an artclassroom. I think that one could even make use of the gallery of student work by assigning critiques as homework for the students to do online by commenting on each work. Secondly, I found two podcasts that seem helpful to me or to students one is called Art A Go-Go, and the other is called MOMA Talks: Panels and symposia. Art A Go-Go says that its goal is to "educate and entertain" and the MOMA podcast seems intriguing for upper school students. I tried to navigate the social bookmarking sites and ended up with del.icio.us because it was easier to create a profile for and was mentioned in our text (Roblyer and Doyle). I was able to find interesting articles and pages but it was hard to find someone worth following. I suppose I am missing something here. Lol. The two widgets that I found were both made from a basic form at widgetbox.com. They are a calendar widget and a slideshow widget. I was unable to embed the widgets but I am including thevweb address that is at the top of their page. Sorry about this... http://www.widgetbox.com/i/efba0a56-524c-45c8-803c-0d44d3fb4758 is the calendar widget and thanks for reading guys!

5 comments:

  1. I understand......sometimes it is all so overwhelming and hard to know where to begin. Even though it is supposed to be helpful and enlightening it is a lot!!!! Thanks Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, I too understand that enormous amount of time and resources for creating a wiki. I have already edited mine more than 100 times and I have only just begun. Hang in there...it will pay off later to create something you will be able to actually use in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the MoMA website! So many great podcasts, interactives, and other types of media.
    Also, I agree, the wikis are sort of hard to navigate at first. But I think once you set up one it would be easy to update and keep current for your class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rebecca! I totally understand your frustration with the wiki. Mine is coming along slowly, as well, and I'm not as excited about it as I was...but the important thing is don't get overwhelmed. You are great at creating stuff and I'm sure that if you take it one bit at a time, your wiki will turn out brilliant! It sounds like you've found some great resources to pull from. I really like the slideshow widget!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca, thank you for your candid blog. I also feel frustrated. Regardless, we are learning a great deal of information that we can utilize in the future.

    ReplyDelete