Monday, April 29, 2013
Module six post
M6 Blog - Visual Art Content Technology Integrations
The thirteenth chapter of Roblyer and Doering's Integrating Education Technology into Teaching talks about integrating technology into both music and visual art classes. I am going to be working with visual arts so I focused mainly on those sections of the chapter. I found technology integrations that made sense and that I had already used and some new things too. One really helpful thing in this chapter was the Top Ten list on page 358. It lists different ways to integrate technology into the classroom. I agreed with all of the ideas that were listed, except for the virtual museum one. I like the idea of doing a virtual museum trip for a short class or with a substitute, but if I am going to display artwork for the students I would most likely use a power point type presentation instead. Also it is very different seeing something in a virtual setting and seeing something in real life. Artwork is one of those things in particular.
To look back at the semester, I have learned a lot of different skills and found many helpful resources that I did not know or even know about before. Mainly I feel like I have gained a bit of confidence and understanding in using the computer and programs on it. For me, that is a big deal because I generally feel very disconnected from technology and online activities. It has been easier to operate my ipad and computer since being in this class and I feel that I can accomplish more things through technology than I thought possible. I still do not know where I stand on the topic of social media like facebook and twitter, but I have come to understand the ways that they can be found useful.
Advantages of Integrating Technology into Teaching Art add up to be very helpful to students, mainly for visual demo/example display reasons, but for other reasons too. One advantage is that promethian boards or even just slide screens can be used with a projecting system of some sort to display examples large enough for students to see all at one time. On top of that, the addition of a document camera would be a huge help for displaying live demos on the larger screen. Also, the Keynote program from apple is great for preparing slideshows for art history segments or example slide shows to view on the projection system. Roblyer and Doering mention Powerpoint in the text on page 367, but both work well. The last advantage of integrating technology into the art classroom is the the fact that databases and programs are great resources for digital images of artworks for lecture and reference. The text lists many different resources on page 365 (Roblyer and Doering, 2013). Most of these resources also list biographic facts and the name, size, and medium of each work. I like to use Art Authority for ipad.
Disadvantages of Integrating Technology into Teaching Art do exist even though, as I have shown above, they have benefits. The disadvantages of Introducing technology into the art classroom include concerns about originality, plagiarism, and
copy-written materials. The most obvious concern is that about plagiarism and copy-written visuals or ideas. The text also identifies this concern as a major one in the art classroom (Roblyer and Doering, 364, 2013). This is a concern in any class, with or without technology, but the internet is very easy to 'borrow from' for some.
Two Most Helpful Projects or Products of this Class this Semester
The first project that comes to mind as being very helpful is the Technology Site Review. Seeing all of the technologies installed and being demoed at Liberty Park School really helped me get a picture of what would be useful in an art classroom. I really really like the Elmo type document camera that we looked at on the field trip. I think that this would be so useful for pretty much everyday of a visually oriented class. It was also good to learn about acquiring funds for technologies.
The second assignment that was particularly helpful was the Letterhead/Mail Merge/Brochure Assignment. I was really glad to be able to use Excel, even if only that little bit. I would like to learn more about that program because I feel like it has many helpful options to make use of. Also, I enjoyed designing the brochure and class letterhead and may even go in and improve both of them when I have some time.
Works Cited
Roblyer and Doering. Integrating Educational Technology into Teaching. Pearson. 6th ed. 2013. Print.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Becca,
ReplyDeleteI too enjoyed seeing all of the most updated and useful technology in action at LPE. It made me want to "have" some of that in my school.
If you really want to become more integrated in technology, try taking a few more online classes. My entire program was designed in this format and it has TREMENDOUSLY helped me in my technology skills. Good luck to you and the future :-)
Great job Becca! I cant wait to see all the different ways this technology works in a real classroom. Sounds like you have some of it figured out.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the information
I like that you pointed out how easy the internet makes it to "borrow" from others- especially with art! It is important to teach students about plagiarizing words, ideas, and ART!
ReplyDelete